Sunday, 28 August 2011

Almost a dental tour of Europe.

Whilst travelling through FRANCE I had toothache. I was lucky to find an English speaking dentist who treated me immediately.  The basic charge in France is Euro 22 and for this price he drilled out the filling and took x-rays.  I had to pay extra for the prescription for anti-biotics.

In GERMANY I needed further treatment but had to find a specific dentist that would accept the European Health Card.  This time I was given topical medicine and a temporary filling, the standard fee is Euro 10 and this is good for 3 months worth of treatment.

In ITALY it turns out there are no public dentists and they are all private charging a minimum of approx Euro 100.  Whilst there are emergency dentists at hospitals these were not recommended.

Back in FRANCE I was having discomfort with the temporary filling and again managed to find an English speaking dentist but he could not do the required work on the European Health Card Euro 22 system.  For root canal work on a molar with 3 roots plus numerous x-rays the standard fee in France is Euro 90.  Had I been there long enough to have the follow on filling it would have cost Euro 70.

From reading on the Internet I believe I now have the option of trying to claim back some of the costs for treatment in France by completing and submitting forms.

2 comments:

Steve & Glen Swatman said...

After sending in the paperwork to Newcastle I got a full refund for all the dental visits and medication.

Anonymous said...

Howdy! Would you mind if I share your blog with my zynga group?
There's a lot of people that I think would really enjoy your content. Please let me know. Many thanks

My webpage ... xerox 8560 printer